Join our Law Notes WhatsApp Group and stay updated with Legal and Judicial Updates
Related Cases / Recent Cases / Case Law
- Maintenance u/s 125 Cr.P.C. - Husband is not entitled to claim maintenance from wife. 2017 (1) Civil Court Cases 042 (Hyderabad)
- Bhuwan Mohan Singh v Meena and Others, Criminal Appeal Jurisdiction, Criminal Appeal No. 1331 OF 2014, Supreme Court of India judgement dated July 15, 2014
- United States Vs Windsor, 12-307, US Supreme Court, March 2013
- Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) defines the term "marriage" for all purposes under federal law, including the provision of federal benefits, as "only a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife." 1 U.S.C. 7. It similarly defines the term "spouse" as "a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or a wife." Ibid. The question presented is:
- Whether Section 3 of DOMA violates the Fifth Amendment's guarantee of equal protection of the laws as applied to persons of the same sex who are legally married under the laws of their State.
Related Statute / Legislation
- Title 1 Section 7 of United States Code: Definition of "marriage" and "spouse"
- Section 68 of Indian Contract Act, 1872 that deals with Claim for necessaries supplied to person incapable of contracting, or on his account says that: If A supplies the wife and children of B, a lunatic, with necessaries suitable to their condition in life. A is entitled to be reimbursed from B's property.