Join our Law Notes WhatsApp Group and stay updated with Legal and Judicial Updates
A Suit is to be filed / instituted in a Civil Court in order to seek a relief or order of civil nature.
- A pro se law suit is one in which people file lawsuits without legal representation.
- US: US Code Section 2462: Time for commencing proceedings
- India: Section 80 of Code of Civil Procedure, 1908: No suit shall be instituted against the Government or against a public officer in respect of any act purporting to be done in his official capacity by such public officer until the expiration of notice for two months in writing in the manner provided in the section.
Related Cases / Recent Cases / Case Laws
- Suit against minor - Not barred - O.22.R.3 CPC provides the manner in which suit will proceed against minor. (2017(1) Civil Court Cases 219 (Allahabad)
- Webb v Macpherson, (1903) 8 CWN 41 PC: In India, the cestui que trust cannot maintain as owner a suit for possession against trespasser, the ownership being vested in the trustee.
- An Award by a Lok Adalat can be challenged only by filing a Writ Petition and not by way of separate suit - Supreme Court of India