Join our Law Notes WhatsApp Group and stay updated with Legal and Judicial Updates
Suicide is the voluntary and intentional self-destruction of one's own self.
Emile Durkheim in his Anomie and Suicide Theory said that suicide rates increase at the time of sudden economic changes, whether by the change was of a major depression or sudden unexpected prosperity.
Factors leading to suicide
- Economic factors
- Psychological factors
- Mob psychology
- Geographical factors
- Police atrocities
- Failure in love
- Marital problems
- Humiliation, insult etc.
- Religious reasons
- Favourism, being a fan of a person etc
- Social disorganization
- Doctor assisted death
Suicide under Indian Penal Code, 1860
- Section 305: Abetment of suicide of child or insane person
- Section 306: Abetment of suicide
- Section 309: Attempt to commit suicide
Related Cases / Recent Cases / Case Laws
- Pawan Kumar v State of HP, Criminal Appeal Jurisdiction, Criminal Appeal No. 775 OF 2017, Supreme Court of India judgment dated April 28, 2017