Join our Law Notes WhatsApp Group and stay updated with Legal and Judicial Updates
Section 8 of Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996
Section 8 of Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996 deals with 'Power to refer parties to arbitration where there is an arbitration agreement'.
From the Act
(1) A judicial authority before which an action is brought in a matter which is the subject of an arbitration agreement shall, if a party so applies not later than when submitting his first statement on the substance of the dispute, refer the parties to arbitration.
(2) The application referred to in subsection (1) shall not be entertained unless it is accompanied by the original arbitration agreement or a duly certified copy thereof.
(3) Notwithstanding that an application has been made under sub-section (1) and that the issue is pending before the judicial authority, an arbitration may be commenced or continued and an arbitral award made.
Related Cases / Recent Cases / Case Laws
- Anil s o Jagannath Rana and Others v Rajendra s o Radhakishan Rana and Others, Civil Appeal Jurisdiction, Civil Appeal No 10620 OF 2013, Supreme Court of India judgement dated December 18, 2014
- Ranjit Kumar Bose and Another v Anannya Chowdhury and Another, Civil Appeal Jurisdiction, Civil Appeal Petition No 3334 OF 2014, Supreme Court of India judgement dated March 7, 2014