Join our Law Notes WhatsApp Group and stay updated with Legal and Judicial Updates
Section 3 of UK Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984
Section 3 of UK Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 deals with Duty to make records concerning searches
From the Act
(1) Where a constable has carried out a search in the exercise of any such power as ismentioned in section 2(1) above, other than a search—
(a) under section 6 below; or
(b) under section 27(2) of the M3Aviation Security Act 1982, he shall make arecord of it in writing unless it is not practicable to do so.
(a) a constable is required by subsection (1) above to make a record of a search;but
(b) it is not practicable to make the record on the spot,
he shall make it as soon as practicable after the completion of the search.
(3) The record of a search of a person shall include a note of his name, if the constableknows it, but a constable may not detain a person to find out his name.
(4) If a constable does not know the name of a person whom he has searched, the recordof the search shall include a note otherwise describing that person.
(5) The record of a search of a vehicle shall include a note describing the vehicle.
(6) The record of a search of a person or a vehicle—
(a) shall state—
(i) the object of the search;
(ii) the grounds for making it;
(iii) the date and time when it was made;
(iv) the place where it was made;
(v) whether anything, and if so what, was found;
(vi) whether any, and if so what, injury to a person or damage to propertyappears to the constable to have resulted from the search; and
(b) shall identify the constable making it.
(7) If a constable who conducted a search of a person made a record of it, the person whowas searched shall be entitled to a copy of the record if he asks for one before the endof the period specified in subsection (9) below.
(a) the owner of a vehicle which has been searched or the person who was incharge of the vehicle at the time when it was searched asked for a copy of therecord of the search before the end of the period specified in subsection (9)below; and
(b) the constable who conducted the search made a record of it, the person who made the request shall be entitled to a copy.
(9) The period mentioned in subsections (7) and (8) above is the period of 12 monthsbeginning with the date on which the search was made.
(10) The requirements imposed by this section with regard to records of searches ofvehicles shall apply also to records of searches of vessels, aircraft and hovercraft.
Related Sections from the Act
- Section 1: Power of constable to stop and search persons, vehicles etc.
- Section 2: Provisions relating to search under section 1 and other powers.
- Section 4: Road checks.
- Section 5: Reports of recorded searches and of road checks.
- Section 6: Statutory undertakers etc.
- Section 7: Part I—supplementary