Join our Law Notes WhatsApp Group and stay updated with Legal and Judicial Updates
A Prisoner is a person who is lodged in a prison.
Definition of Prisoner
- Section 2 of Prisons Act, 1894: Defines Criminal Prisoner
- Section 3 of Prisons Act, 1894: Defines Convicted Criminal Prisoner
- Section 4 of Prisons Act, 1894: Defines Civil Prisoner
Related Cases / Recent Cases / Case Laws
- DBM Patnaik vs AP (AIR 1974 SC 2092): Supreme Court held that:
- Being a prisoner, some of the fundamental rights, such as freedom of speech and movement could be reduced but certain other fundamental rights, such as the right to hold property etc., could still be enjoyed.
- Installation of barb wires, posting of police around the prison etc. could not be said to be cause of any interference to personal liberty of prisoners.
- Veena Sethi vs Bihar AIR 1983 SC 339
- Hussainara Khantoon vs Bihar AIR 1979 SC 1369
- Prem Shanker vs Delhi Administration AIR 1980 SC 1535
- Sheela Barse vs Maharashtra
- Khatri vs Bihar AIR 1981 SC 1068
- Sunil Batra vs India AIR 1978 SC 1675