Join our Law Notes WhatsApp Group and stay updated with Legal and Judicial Updates
Piracy on High Seas is restricted according to Geneva Conference on the High Seas, 1958
- Any act of violence, detention or any act of depredation
- committed for private ends
- by crew or passengers
- Voluntary act of participation in the operation of the ship with knowledge of facts that it became a pirate ship
- Act of inciting or intentionally facilitating an act to make it a pirate ship
- A ship continues to retain its nationality even after being taken over by pirates. The law of the state that granted it a nationality decides if the pirate ship loses or retains its nationality.
- Seizure of a ship thinking it to be a pirate ship without adequate grounds will make the State liable to compensate the loss or damage for the detention.
- Seizure of a pirate ship can be made by a war ship, military ship or a ship authorized for the act by the State.
- S S Lotus