Join our Law Notes WhatsApp Group and stay updated with Legal and Judicial Updates
Related Cases / Recent Cases / Case Laws
- Suman Singh v Sanjay Singh, Civil Appeal Jurisdiction, Civil Appeal No 7114-7115 OF 2014, Supreme Court of India judgment dated March 8, 2017
- United States Vs Windsor, 12-307, US Supreme Court, March 2013
- Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) defines the term "marriage" for all purposes under federal law, including the provision of federal benefits, as "only a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife." 1 U.S.C. 7. It similarly defines the term "spouse" as "a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or a wife." Ibid. The question presented is:
- Whether Section 3 of DOMA violates the Fifth Amendment's guarantee of equal protection of the laws as applied to persons of the same sex who are legally married under the laws of their State.
- State of Karnataka v Dattaraj and Others, Criminal Appeal Jurisdiction, Criminal Appeal No. 326 OF 2012, Supreme Court of India judgement dated February 15, 2016
Related Statute / Legislation
- US: Title 1 Section 7 of United States Code: Definition of "marriage" and "spouse"
- India: Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961