Join our Law Notes WhatsApp Group and stay updated with Legal and Judicial Updates
The Lok Adalat is a form of Alternative Dispute Resolution. These are set up with an aim of providing cheaper and speedier justice flowing out of compromise between the parties. These are set up by following the provisions of the Legal Services Authorities Act, 1987.
Lok Adalats are organized at regular intervals and places. Within its Jurisdiction, it can deal with cases related to:
- Any case pending before or
- Any matter which is falling within the jurisdiction of and is not brought before any court for which the Lok Adalat was organized
- Lok Adalat will not have jurisdiction on any case or matter related to an offense not compoundable under law.
- Lok Adalat gives an Award. It is equal to a Decree as given by a civil court.
- An Award by a Lok Adalat can be challenged only by filing a Writ Petition and not by way of separate suit - Supreme Court