Join our Law Notes WhatsApp Group and stay updated with Legal and Judicial Updates
Also called as Legalization, Legislation is the process of making something legal and lawful to do.
Example: The campaign for the legalisation of abortion
- It is the act of giving or enacting laws
- It gives the power to make laws
- Legislative Act is the act of legislating of laws
- Preparation and enactment of laws
- The making of laws by express decree. State ex rel. Yancey v. Hyde, 121 Ind. 20, 22 N.E. 644.
- Formulation of rule for the future. Eastern Oil Refining Co. v. Court of Burgesses of Wallingford, 130 Conn. 606, 36 A.2d 586, 589; Oklahoma City, Okl., v. Dolese, C.C.A.Okl., 48 F.2d 734, 738. Municipal ordinances are legislation. Doyle v. City of St. Paul, 206 Minn. 542, 289 N.W. 785, 788.
- Legislature is the department, assembly, or body of men that makes laws for a state or nation.
- Legislative are those actions which relate to subjects of permanent or general character.
- A Legislative Court is one that is created by Legislature and not named or described by Constitution. Gorham v. Robinson, 57 R.I. 1. 186 A. 832.
- The Legislative Power is the lawmaking power; the department of government whose function is the framing and enactment of laws. Evansville v. State, 118 Ind. 426, 21 N.E. 267, 4 L.R.A. 93. Brown v. Galveston, 97 Tex. 1, 75 S.W. 495; O'Neil v. American F. Ins. Co., 166 Pa. 72, 30 A. 943, 26 L.R.A. 715, 45 Am.St.Rep. 650.
- A Legislator is one who makes laws; a member of a legislative body.
- A Legisperitus is a person skilled or learned in the law; a lawyer or advocate. Feud. lib. 2, tit. 1.