Join our Law Notes WhatsApp Group and stay updated with Legal and Judicial Updates
Legal Ethics are the body of rules and practices that determine the professional conduct of the members of the Bar.
- Legal Ethics help maintain the honor and dignity of the legal profession.
- Fosters friendly cooperation between Bar and Bench in the promotion of highest standards of justice.
- Helps make fair dealings of the counsel with his client, opponent and witnesses.
- Secures that lawyers discharge their responsibility to the community generally.
- Unlike few other professions, legal profession is not for private gain but for public good.
- To maintain legal ethics, Bar Councils have been established and Acts such as the Advocates Act, 1961 for the advocates are formulated.
- Bar Council of India and State Bar Councils punished Advocates for their professional or other misconduct.
Recent Cases / Related Cases / Case Law
- Hamraj L Chulani vs Bar Council of Maharashtra and Goa, AIR 1996 SC 1708: Legal profession is a partner with the judiciary in the administration of justice