Join our Law Notes WhatsApp Group and stay updated with Legal and Judicial Updates
Ghana Contract Act, 1960
As amended by VOLTA RIVER PROJECT (SUPPLEMENTARY PROVISIONS) ACT, 1962 (ACT 96)
THE CONTRACTS ACT, 1960
AN ACT to amend the law of Contract and to replace certain Imperial enactments.
DATE OF ASSENT: 22nd December, 1960
BE IT ENACTED by the President and the National Assembly in this present Parliament assembled as follows:—
PART I—FRUSTRATION OF CONTRACTS
- Section 1: Adjustment of rights and liabilities of parties to frustrated contracts.
- Section 2: Severance of frustrated contracts.
- Section 3: Parties may contract out of Part I.
- Section 4: Application of Part I.
PART II—THIRD PARTY RIGHTS
- Section 5: Provision in contract for benefit of third party.
- Section 6: Rights of third party not to be altered, etc., without his consent but subject to equities.
- Section 6A: Section 5 and 6 of Act 25 not to Apply to Certain Agreements.
- Section 7: Assignment of legal rights.
PART III—CONSIDERATION AND FORMALITIES
- Section 8: Certain contracts to be valid despite lack of consideration.
- Section 9: Law as to consideration clarified in certain cases.
- Section 10: Consideration need not move from promisee.
- Section 11: Contracts need not be in writing except in certain cases.
- Section 12: Contracts, etc., of corporations.
- Section 13: Application of Part III.
PART IV—CONTRACTS OF GUARANTEE
- Section 14: Guarantees, etc., to be in writing.
- Section 15: Revocation of continuing guarantee by change in partnership.
- Section 16: Rights of guarantor against debtor, etc.
- Section 17: Contracts, etc., of the Republic.
- Section 18: Repeals.
- Section 19: Statutes ceasing to apply.
- Schedule—Statutes Ceasing to Apply.
- First Schedule to Act 96