Join our Law Notes WhatsApp Group and stay updated with Legal and Judicial Updates
Black's Law Dictionary defines a Citizen as:
A member of a free city or jural society, (civitas,) possessing all the rights and privileges which can be enjoyed by any person under its constitution and government, and subject to the corresponding duties. "Citizens" are members of community inspired to common goal, who, in associated relations, submit themselves to rules of conduct for the promotion of general welfare and conservation of individual as well as collective rights.
Related Cases / Recent Cases
- In re McIntosh, D.C.Wash., 12 F. Supp. 177.
- Thomasson v. State, 15 Ind. 451
- Luria v. U. S., 34 S.Ct. 10, 19, 231 U.S. 9, 58 L.Ed. 101; U. S. v. Polzin, D.C.Md., 48 F.Supp. 476, 479.: A member of a nation or body politic of the sovereign state or political society who owes allegiance
- Scott v. Sandford, 19 How. 404, 15 L.Ed. 691.: A member of the civil state entitled to all its privileges. One of the sovereign people. A constituent member of the sovereignty synonymous with the people.
- Jaipur Udyog v Union of India, AIR 1969 Raj 281: Some fundamental rights are available only to citizens, whereas others are available to all persons, regardless of whether they are citizens.
- Committee for CR of CAP and Others v State of Arunachal Pradesh and Others Writ Petition 510 OF 2007, Civil Original Jurisdiction, Writ Petition No 510 OF 2007, Supreme Court of India judgement dated September 17, 2015